Monday 25 February 2013

Dark Eldar: List Evolution


Dark Eldar: List Evolution

Ok so as I’ve said I went to the Caledonian uprising and from that I’ve learnt a lot about my army and what it needs to compete. Although I didn’t play Daemons, I played Necrons and I changed my mind about a few things. Building an army that can compete in the north and the south is a tough prospect but I believe I’ve learnt a lot about what it Is to be dark eldar.


The Caledonian list

So a quick recap of the list I took to cale….

Baron

3 units of 3 trueborn, 2 blasters, haywire grenades
3 Units of 5 wych’s, haywire
All of the above in venoms
Beastmaster unit (10 kymera, 4 flocks and 5 beastmasters)
3 Ravagers
Eldrad
Jetbikes
Warp Hunter

The problem was here that I found I was lacking in flyer killing ability….. My army was working well but without the ability to stop late turn contesting I was never gunna be able to compete.

I also found the blaster born were a bit redundant, due to mobility issues and well the fact I had enough haywire elsewhere.

Finally I found that one wych unit never seemed to venture forward and as such was a bit wasted in points

The Solution: First draft

I needed anti air and for me the only solution was a aegis and quad gun. I don’t like dark eldar flyers and without using guard, this was the only other solution. But how extreme did I want to go? I could use a fire dragon exarch to make it the ultimate killing machine! But…. That was an expensive unit that against other armies would be useless if the quad gun died.

So who would fire the gun? Wracks I settled on, inconspicuous enough that they would be avoided.
How about a holding troop unit? Out went a wych unit and in came 5 warriors to sit behind the aegis and go to ground.

Finally I transferred two of the blaster born units to splinter cannons (as clearly I needed more…..) This led me to the following list……

Baron
2 units of 3 trueborn, 2 splinter cannons
1 units of 3 wracks
2 Units of 5 wych’s, haywire
1 units of 5 warriors
All of the above in venoms
Beastmaster unit (10 kymera, 4 flocks and 4 beastmasters)
3 Ravagers
Eldrad
Jetbikes
Warp Hunter
Aegis+Quadgun
A master piece right….. RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

The Solution: Second draft

I did something I don’t like to do… posted my list on the Internet. I used to do this on warseer but all ways got silly responses. I think the main thing anyone has to remember about the Internet is that anyone can answer claiming there an expert.

However I got a facebook message from Paulie Wallis, an opponent of mine at the Brighton GT and runner of ‘The Dark City’ a pure Dark Eldar Forum. Now I encourage anyone to go to this website if you like Dark Eldar (http://www.thedarkcity.net/)

This is a website full of people who use and love dark eldar. So I posted an article and then after posted my list. Now if you do this you have to defend the choices you’ve made. People may ask you lots of questions but you made a decision and need to explain why this decision has been made. Critique will all ways be both well thought out or a gut reaction. Sometimes your right sometimes your not that’s why we ask for critique.

Anyway a running theme emerged… You’ve only got 18 t3 scoring models….

I’m happy with the rest of the list but this point was the elephant in the room. I either needed more troops or a big unit. This was the main consensus. I was happy with my beast unit with Eldrad and the Baron. I’m a little worried about my reduction of anti tank but I don’t think it'll overly hamper me. So the real question is how do I solve the troop question?

Anyone remember a few months back I posted a blog about Dark Eldars Blob unit choices? Well I  thought id try one out. Here’s the second draft…

Baron
2 units of 3 trueborn, 2 splinter cannons
2 Units of 5 wych’s, haywire
All of the above in venoms
20 Warriors 2 splinter cannons
Beastmaster unit (10 kymera, 4 flocks and 4 beastmasters)
3 Ravagers
Eldrad
Jetbikes
Warp Hunter
Aegis + Quad gun

So lets see what I’ve gained and lost.

Negatives:

12 less Splinter cannon shots
2 venoms worth of manoeuvrability.

Positives:

A alternative seat for Eldrad
A large holding unit with the potential to get feel no pain.
A LOT of splinter rifle fire
3 less kill points.

Conclusion

I really don’t know if this is the way to go. This massive unit cant make use of the 30-36 inch window I all ways wang on about. It also means an enemy can avoid fire power. Something that 2 venoms wouldn’t allow. However for anyone that advances it’s a horrific amount of fire power when it fires. Were talking 30 poisoned shots at extreme range and that’s before prescience and 44 if the enemy decides to come with 18 and I wander forward. It also means I don’t have to shelter my bike unit or and don’t have a 44 point unit just sitting around doing nothing. Maybe a 3rd draft is in order?

I hope this blog has really shown you how a list can evolve and why it does. Perhaps my thought process has also given you food for thought! If anyone wants me to critique your dark eldar list, post it up on the dark city and pm me on there (im canyoneromikos) to give it a once over.

It’ll be back to nemesis in the next edition whether it'll be necrons or the recently announced daemons you’ll just have to wait and see! Until then!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see your list evolve. 20 warriors is one of those things some people despise and others swear by. But it does fix your troop problem and makes good use of the aegis line. Prescience on that blob will be a good laugh against, double tyrant lists and other nasties, even wraiths will have a problem with that.

    Look forward to hearing how it goes. :D

    ReplyDelete